Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Narcosis

misty grey suburban rooftops

Finally we're getting weather that resembles winter. California has been too dry this year.

So last night I wrote an impassioned (but not post-worthy) rant about drugs prompted by a question from Miss Miggums. But that's not actually the point. Sitting down with the intention of spilling words reminded me that I want to be writing stuff that's more in-depth than vapid social media captions (my job) or silly reflections on daily style (my hobby). I want to be deep, which is pathetic because you're not supposed to want that; it's supposed to just happen. One day you wake up and your angst is poetic, right? But all the writing books say you have to practice.

I want to bring the focus, organization, and length of an academic essay to my personal writing. And I want to be doing personal writing regularly. I used to fantasize about a hypothetical novel; I'm not sure I'm into that idea anymore. But of course I want to be famous! I want to be goddam Cat Marnell (xoJane and VICE) minus the dysfunction. Sometimes it seems like I only look up to girls who are disasters--see also Sylvia Plath--because I'm a fuckin' cliche.

Aforementioned focus/organization/length: not in evidence at the moment. Sorry.

I was also thinking about this because, as you may have seen in 24324 Facebook statuses, Philip Seymour Hoffman overdosed on heroin, which is sad. But it made me remember watching Capote in an English class that I dropped out of, and how I was offended against my better judgment that the teacher didn't give me automatic A+s. Don't you know that all of my relatives think I'm brilliant?

6 comments :

  1. I also want to start writing more. I used to free write every day. Have you been doing any in the past couple weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loved your writing style here Sonya! i think it really came out a lot more here. if you do end up posting your rant about drugs i'd love to hear it. sometimes i feel the same, that i want my writing to have more depth, but i guess i do try to whenever the thought strikes, and i'll do a longer post about something, although i dont think that's happened in several months. & i hear ya about the style blogs, sometimes i say to myself, wow, i just wrote a fucking paragraph about clothing, which was a topic i never even wanted to read about or even talk much about w/ friends.. so odd. but fair trade, now that's something at least i enjoy that i need to remember to mention some more lately... i'm rambling, prob bed time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dus! For it's worth, I would like to read whatever longer piece you feel like writing. Your insights and reflections are always wonderful. Especially on the topic of fair trade!

      Delete
  3. oh thank so much Sonya! i'm glad i decided to take a study break to check if you replied to comments on here. i keep thinking that i haven't written about fair trade lately & would like to but am not finding the words w/out repeating the same thing or saying hey! wake up already world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously! I don't want to be judgey because it turns people off, but the whole thing seems like a no-brainer. Then again, it took me a while to catch on.

    ReplyDelete