Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Attempting Literary Self-Esteem

Typing


My daily writing goal is 200 words. I add a minimum of 100 words to each project. Usually it works out to about 150 words. And then almost every day I write a blog post, roughly 200 words. All told, I write close to 500 words per day. Well, THAT'S NOTHING! It seems like I'll never reach the ~60,000 words in a full-length book, especially since my efforts are shared between different projects.

I should congratulate myself for making any progress at all. I should admire that I've established a sustainable writing practice, that it's part of my daily life now. But instead I chastise myself for not performing as well as some vaguely conceptualized other writer who I have in my head. It's counterproductive, and it's mean.

I'm not the kind of person who does things for the sake of doing them. I write because I want people to read my thoughts, and because I crave the sense of accomplishment that comes with a finished project. Somehow I look down on myself for that; perhaps I think that I should have purer artistic motives. But I don't. Does anyone? Did Hemingway? Perhaps it was some other pithy chauvinist.

Metal type


Notebooks

No comments :

Post a Comment