Wednesday, July 23, 2014

I'm Not Tryna Find Nobody Else To Beat



Despite the misogynistic gangbanger nonsense, I love Lil Wayne's latest track, "Believe Me". I love that the song officially belongs to Lil Wayne, but Drake has more verses, including the hook/chorus. I love that they're both going on about how they're the best ever--"I'm the only one to get the job done"--but that there's no conflict between them. Each dude is asserting his dominance, insisting that he is rap's alpha male, but the potential for cognitive dissonance doesn't seem to bother them.

I love this about hip hop in general: just about every artist makes a lot of noise, saying that they're unbeatable, top of the game, but they all collaborate musically and get along (for the most part). Rappers understand #VanityAsSelfCare. Being obsessed with yourself and thinking you're great doesn't mean you can't appreciate someone else's contribution. But then there's Kendrick Lamar...

No comments :

Post a Comment