Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Comparisons

My boss uses a service called BlogMutt to get content for his website. I have to remember to adjust my expectations when reviewing the posts that they supply. The rate is $16 per article, and the writer gets $8 of that. It's not realistic to insist on a high-level creative product for roughly minimum wage.

Somehow this feels connected to my mental health journey, perhaps in the sense that I also have to manage my expectations for myself. I only have so much energy, and it's not healthy to insist that I build the Taj Mahal everyday with my limited personal resources. (That's hyperbole, but you know what I mean.)

I have a very all-or-nothing attitude toward accomplishments. The way I think is that either I'm top of the class, or I'm nothing. In therapy I've been working on learning a different way to understand my own achievements. I want to regard myself and my work as innately valuable, rather than only worthwhile based on where they fall in a hierarchy.

No comments :

Post a Comment