Friday, November 1, 2013

A Month In Verse

I don't have it in me to fully participate in National Novel Writing Month. What's the quota, like 1,500 words per day? That's not happening. But I want to do some kind of writing project for November, and this is the idea I've settled on: 30 days of sonnets. I wrote my first one this afternoon.

Rabbit Relations

Stooped apple tree and silent rabbit mouths
accompany the thrum of early heart.
The tree's been cut away to just one bough.
Rabbit pounces on leaves; tears them apart.

Two lonely buns thoroughly clean their fur.
I briefly wish that they could speak, could say.
But their quiet panic does them better
than if a lexicon got in the way.

The tree drops half-yellow leaves to fracture
as they hit, cracking soft against the ground.
Three rabbits pursuing one another:
feet and fear and hot eyes but never sound.

My breath comes caffeine-quick and perfectly.
Morning melts and fades beneath the tree.

No comments :

Post a Comment