Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Reading Woes

I haven't read a book in ages. I feel guilty about it. At the beginning of this year, I made a resolution to read ten books a month. I kept it up until, oh, maybe halfway through April. Possibly I even got as far as May... I don't remember exactly.

I do read quite a lot, but it's mostly short-form stuff on the internet that doesn't require much of an attention span. I think it would be good for me to read more works that require commitment and concentration. But there's so much stress and anxiety...

I have sort of an all-or-nothing attitude toward this. Like either I have to read an entire book every three days or less, or I'm a total failure at reading. It doesn't feel like there's any in-between option. I don't know why I put so much pressure on myself! It's frustrating, because my logical mind knows this is stupid and self-sabotaging.

But it's probably not healthy for rational Sonya to condemn emotional Sonya as contemptible and idiotic. It's mean and it's also counterproductive. If emotional Sonya feels safe and cherished, it will be easier to move into reading more again.

1 comment :

  1. I too am pants at reading, but want to read more books.once I have read a good book im happy and feel like I have acomplished something x

    ReplyDelete