Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I Want To Ride My Bicycle

father and son on bicycle, conceptual art


The parent can pedal faster and harder as well as having the bigger wheel. I remember this situation, albeit with my mother rather than my father. Nowadays there's not much of a disconnect between her goals for me and what I want for myself, but we used to face in opposite directions. A little bit of the tension remains.

The issue of the moment is me going back to school. I've agreed to look at catalogues and visit Mills College when my cousin does, but my acquiescence came reluctantly, after much prodding. The idea of taking classes is appealing, if I get to choose ones that I like, but on the other hand the prospect of re-entering academia terrifies me. The last couple of times that I attempted to do school, I held it together for a few weeks and then fell apart. The mitigating circumstances involved tonsillitis and subsequently surgery, but I remain convinced that it was my own lack of willpower. I could have powered through if I wanted to. I just couldn't manage hard work sans passion. But I was depressed, and depression is antithetical to enthusiasm.

I don't know!!! The feeling of unsurety makes me want to hide. It doesn't help that I woke up with a headache and likely exacerbated it by drinking three mugs of caffeinated tea.

No comments :

Post a Comment