Thursday, April 10, 2014

Making & Media

collage featuring bright red flower collage of hippie jewels and scribbles, two-tone pink background

Some collages with pink backgrounds. Sorry for the crappy scan quality! I'm not sure I care enough about these pieces to re-scan them with greater clarity. I hardly remember making the first one or what was going through my mind, but the second is a scribbly collection of hippie jewels that I cut out of a Pyramid Collection catalogue. Originally I was annoyed with how it turned out, the paper crinkled by the glue, but now I kinda like the silliness.

I wonder about collage, about the extent to which it's a genuinely creative art. The process is about creating a new context for the scraps, recombining them the way you would knit together severed pieces of DNA to create a new dinosaur. (That's a semi-obscure Jurassic Park reference.) But I owe a lot to the original image-creators, don't I? That's one of the reasons why I mainly use magazines and catalogues as source material, because I feel more confident that the photographers have been compensated, and that they released their work with the knowledge that it will be separated from them. I also try to thoroughly disassemble the original work, picking out discrete pieces and doing something new with them. I do try.



Recent media consumption:
1) Watching tons of Law & Order, wondering if it's unhealthy to stoke my cynical side.
2) Listening to an interview with Rosanne Cash, highlighting her latest album, The River & The Thread. It sounds beautiful. Being reminded of how many times I used to play "Seven Year Ache". I still love that song.
3) Reading The Red Lily Crown, which is a bit overwrought and rip-the-bodice-open, but definitely fun. This review on (The) Absolute says it well: "I love fiction set in this time period for all the over-the-top disregard for laws among the elite, and The Red Lily Crown has all the secret romance, murder, family backstabbing, and illegitimate children one could possibly dream up." Basically.

No comments :

Post a Comment