Sunday, June 15, 2014

Crushed Plums

My neighbor's plum tree hangs over his fence and drops half of the crop to spoil on the sidewalk.

plum tree in the summer sun plums on the sidewalk

A few days ago I accidentally stomped on one of the plums while walking the dog. It's a wonder that I didn't slip and fall. Instead, juice squished out of the fruit, smearing against the pavement and making the bottom of my flip-flop momentarily sticky.

crushed plum

I don't know why small broken things are so significant to me. Perhaps I relate to them--I have a history of being broken and feeling small. It's what I look for in a man: I want to be my tiniest self and feel safe in his arms. Yes, my desires are very cliche, which isn't necessarily a fault, but nevertheless I am ashamed.

I've eaten some of these plums. They're sweet and juicy in a bland way--no candy tartness. Too ripe.

No comments :

Post a Comment