Saturday, June 28, 2014

Dog Dog Dog

dog wanting a tummy-rub

This is Button, my neighbor's dog who I've been walking. I imagine that her inner monologue goes, "Dog. Dog dog dog. Dogdogdogdogdog." She loves to get tummy scritches, but she also won't turn her nose up at under-the-chin scritches. Er, wait, I mean...

happy dog being scratched under the chin

Button's silly grin truly conveys canine enthusiasm, the quality that makes dogs so easy to adore. They are wholehearted in every moment. A dog's hyper-positive attitude is funny*, but it's also inspirational. Dogs (at least the well-treated ones) show me how I want to relate to the world: with eagerness and delight. Sure, my life is more complex than what a dog deals with, simply because I am a more complex creature. But still, pets provide a perspective that promotes optimism. Maybe there's food in my bowl right now!

*Original "pet diary" idea by Dan Piraro, author of the Bizarro comics. Feel free to buy his books.

dog flopping on the floor, tired after a walk

No comments :

Post a Comment